Monday, May 10, 2010

New York, New York

Day 1 in New York. I'm here in the city with my brother, and I just don't know what to say. I've been to New York plenty of times. The last time I was here was the weekend before I flew out to Germany and I felt something that last time. And I feel it again this time.
I belong here. My circadian rhythm just fits here. The fast pace, all the people, the places to eat, the places to go, the things to see, the streets, the apartments, the subways, the west side market, the laundro mats, etc. All of it seems so normal and natural to me. When I was walking down Broadway looking for Ritz Camera, I had this sudden desire that I was actually going somewhere, to my job, to school, somewhere that would establish the fact that yes indeed I did live here. Anytime I get on the subway, it feels like a natural and completely normal form of transportation. I've always wished that Utah had a better transit system. And I miss that about Frankfurt.
I got asked for directions from people.
Something in this city brings me to life. It has killed me to watch two siblings live here before me. Two siblings who never really had the goal or drive to live in NYC. I was way happy for them, but I wish I could be here. I love it here.

No comments: