Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stratford Upon Avon, Part One!


Well we had the great opportunity to spend a few days in Stratford Upon Avon. That's a little town about a two hours train ride from London. What's there? Oh..you know, the home of William Shakespeare. It was an amazing trip. I loved the little town, the people in it were so kind, and I loved our Bed & Breakfast that we got to go stay in.

Me and my B&B roommates, Christina, Sophie, and Mary.

Excuse me! I'm trying to Bathe! Yes, with my clothes on apparently!

Nice Roomy bath!

Okay, these beds were so amazing. I haven't laid on anything this soft in weeks. (Since my own bed.) It was like sleeping on a cloud. I wanted to stay there for many more nights and just sleep and sleep and sleep. (our beds back in our London Flats aren't the softest.)

We went to dinner at this amazing Italian Place. I had a chicken and Mushroom Risotto, and even stopped stuffing my face long enough for Christina to get a photo!

When we went to the birthplace of Shakespeare, they had actors who would come out to the garden and recite from Shakespeare's shows. I believe this is when they were performing Romeo & Juliet. As you can see I'm quite bemused amused.

The grave of the poet and playwright, William Shakespeare. Amazing to be there. (Even if his bones are probably gone due to the church being so close to the river. oops.) But his epitaph reads:
GOOD FREND FOR JESUS SAKE FORBEARE TO
DIGG THE DUST ENCLOASED HEARE. BLEST BE YE MAN YT SPARES THES STONES AND CURST BE HE YT MOVES MY BONES

This was on a memorial for someone, but I thought it was such a beautiful sculpture, I had to take a picture of her. I just was moved by its beauty.

I don't know about you, but I would NEVER trust a boat with that name.

 One of the first folios of Shakespeare's complete work. I was so amazed to see it. After 400 years, we still are performing plays from this book.

 On our way to The Royal Shakespeare Theater to see Merchant of Venice we had to stop at Moo-Moo's to get a Cadbury Creme Egg Milk Shake. Oh. My. Gosh. Divine!
 The show was amazing. And we met Patric Stewart afterwards. He played Shylock. It was such an amazing production, set in Vegas, modern times, it looked at the show in a way I'd never seen it before, and it was phenomenal and fun. And although Patrick Stewart was PHENOMENAL my favorite actor was...
Scott Handy. I've seen him in a few movies, but he was phenomenal in both Merchant of Venice and Macbeth. I couldn't get over what a talented actor this man was. I hope to see him in more productions in my future.

One of the most amazing things about being at the  RSC stomping grounds was being in the same place that My favorite actor of all time started out. I love this man. I worship his talent. I can't tell you how I hope and pray and wish to work with him some day. 

One of the greatest things about theater in London, that you really don't get in the U.S., is that it makes professional theater so Tangible. It makes it seem like a worthy and obtainable goal. 



1 comment:

Andrew-L'autre said...

It looks like you had a great time in Stratford-upon-Avon! :) It is a fantastic place, with all its history and architecture, and I got to visit it for the first time ever a few weeks ago (I am British-born, American-raised, but live in the UK again).

If you're interested I have pictures and commentary at http://airnicetolivelands.blogspot.com/2011/08/stratford-upon-avon-images.html and http://airnicetolivelands.blogspot.com/2011/08/stratford-upon-avon.html

As for Kenneth Branagh, my mother met him years ago. He is a good actor. You have taken many excellent images of your visit!